Successfully reported this slideshow.
You’ve unlocked unlimited downloads on SlideShare!
RESEARCH IN AYURVEDA
SWATHI ANAND, final year BAMS
From French word “recherché”=seek out/search closely
re=continuous , cherche=to seek for
• RESEARCH is search for KNOWLEDGE
search for UNKNOWN THINGS.
• RESEARCH is the search again & again (re-search) for new knowledge
in a systematic & scientific way.
• RESEARCH is an intelligent, scientific, systemic unbiased process(or
approach) for establishment of a particular concept or hypothesis.
• RESEARCH is the quest for knowledge through systematic &
scientific way on a specified topic, aimed at DISCOVERY &
INTERPRETATION of NEW KNOWLEDGE.
• RESEARCH is a process of knowing NEW FACTS &
verifying OLD ONES by the application of scientific methods
to natural phenomenon.
• RESEARCH can be done in any branch of SCIENCE
or any branch of KNOWLEDGE
RESEARCH in Ayurveda is based on कार्य-कारण सिध्दान्त
Without knowing कार्य-कारण सिध्दान्त ,complete knowledge is not possible
RESEARCH IN AYURVEDA
1. अन्वेषण-desire to search
2. गवेषण-to search/to achieve with help of all sense organs
3. पर्ेषण-to search from all dimensions
4. अनुिन्धान-अनु=to follow, िन्धान=appropriate knowledge
5. एषण-to search
6. मंथन-churning to know the facts
7. ववमर्य-re appraisal or critical comments
8. तन्रर्ुक्तत-methods of logical thinking & scientific presentation
9. प्रततपवि-understand things in their right perspective
SCOPE FOR RESEARCH IN AYURVEDA
Good scope, especially in following themes:
Theoretical research in the fundamental principles of आर्ुवेद
has a potential for vast paradigm shifts in the health sector.
• Concept of दोष
• Concept of धातु
• Concept of मल
• Concept of अक्नन
• Concept of आवरण
• Concept of आम 5/03/2017
Various experiments can be done in आर्ुवेद using modes of
evidence explained in Ayurvedic texts like:
a) प्रत्र्क्ष, आप्तोपदेर्,अनुमान
b) त्ररववध परीक्षा
c) दर्ववध परीक्षा, अष्ठववध परीक्षा
• Offers most important domain for developing new protocols.
• Ayurvedic bed side observation & management is very rich, but
• CR Is directly related to patient & clinical trials of medicines.
3 aspects of Ayurvedic clinical research;
i. Curative aspect : tmt of disease without developing complications.
Eg. Efficacy of chandraprabha vati & mustadi kalpa in management of mutraghata;
Efficacy of citrakadi vati in grahani
ii. Promotive aspect : रिार्न & वाजीकरण
Eg.efficacy of agastya haritaki rasayana in kasa/yakshma pt.; efficacy of asvagandarista in klaibya
ii.Preventive aspect : health maintainace (yoga,maintaining hygiene)
NEED FOR RESEARCH IN AYURVEDA
• To review & revive(use again)the classical literature of
आर्ुवेद;To explore the historical aspects of आर्ुवेद
• To develop evidence based support on the efficacy of आर्ुवेद
products & practices.
• To generate data on “safety, standardisation &
quality control for आर्ुवेद products & practices”
• To evaluate effectiveness of various formulations described in
a particular condition.
• To assess effectiveness of particular tmt, in order to improve
the quality of therapy provided to patient.
• To upgrade आर्ुवेद time to time, keeping in view the
new disease & health related problems developing
day by day/emergency management of diseases
IMPORTANCE OF RESEARCH IN AYURVEDA
1. Only the FACTS established after
• careful investigations
• experimental studies
• supported by accurate data with proper statistical analysis
can only convince the PUBLIC about the validity of
any single statement.
2. Ayurveda is gaining global acceptance. Interest in ayurveda
& its public demand is rapidly increasing. Such demand only
be fulfilled by developing an appropriate research
3. Research is important to further improve safety,
standardisation & quality control for आर्ुवेद products &
practices; for easy administration & rapid action.
4. Research is useful to assess the relative effectiveness of
Health care programmes in order to determine the allocation
of the resources in health settings. 5/03/2017
UTILITY OF RESEARCH IN AYURVEDA
• परीक्ष्र्काररणो हि कु र्लो भवन्ती ।। Ca.su.10/5
Caraka says about the utility of research- “those alone are wise , who act
• our आचार्ाा’s have encouraged the intelligent people to struggle
for obtaining new knowledge by
by taking clues
PROBLEMS ENCOUNTERED BY RESEARCHERS IN AYURVEDA
• No fixed universal dose of Ayurvedic drug as it is prescribed according to
दोषावस्थ,र्रररबल,अक्ननबल,कोष्ठ of patient.
• Hence difficult to do a clinical study with Ayurvedic drug.
• No quantitative measures for Ayurvedic basic parameters like vata, pitta, kapha,
agni, aama etc
• Difficult to consider Ayurvedic aspects like दोषावस्थ,र्रररबल,अक्ननबल etc
while evaluating drugs in animal models.
• Pt. often consume Allopathic medicine along with Ayurveda at same time. Hence
difficult to establish that the result has come from which medicine.